Cat allergies is one of the main reasons cats lose their happy homes.
What exactly are cat allergens? Cat allergens are airborne proteins in the dander (minute flakes of skin) and the saliva of cats.
If you love your kitty and your doctor has told you you're allergic to your cat, get rid of it, what can you do?
First and foremost ask for a test to confirm that is what you're allergic too.
Okay the test comes back positive, but you still don't want to get rid of your four-legged friend. Unless its life threatening, there are things you can do to lessen the allergens.
1. Vacuum regularly, preferably with a vacuum cleaner that is specifically designed to remove allergens. Better yet, take up the carpets and put down hardwood floors or tile.
2. Vapor steam clean your floors.
3. Keep kitty out of the bedroom so you can breath easier when you sleep.
4. Use an air purifier.
5. Dust regularly.
7. Wash your blinds and curtains on a regular basis.
In other words clean, clean, clean.
8. Use allergen filters for your furnace and change them out at least every three months.
9. Ask your vet to recommend a gentle shampoo for your cat designed to reduce dander and shampoo weekly.
10. Run a damp washcloth over your cat daily. Stroke your cat with a cat mitt or brush daily.
11. Try a cat litter that's not made from clay or if its a clay, a brand that doesn't release heavy amounts of dust.
12. Wash your hands after petting your cat.
13. Consider over the counter allergy medications.
14. Get your cat fixed, an unaltered cat produces more allergens. Unaltered cats, especially males, produce more sebum (which is found in cat dander).
15. When weather permits, open windows to ventilate your house.
16. Avoid wearing wool as it retains more cat allergens that cotton.
I hope you've found this helpful. If there's anything you'd like to add to the list just leave a comment.
Shameless self promotion.
Shardai is available at Smashwords for $1.99.
Shardai is a large sleek cat with attitude. He has the courage of a tiger and the disdain of a king. The fearless feline has only one weakness...his guardian. He would do anything for her, even come back from the afterlife.